Dogs eat anything they can get their paws on. It is your duty as a good owner to prevent your dog from eating anything it shouldn’t.
Dogs shouldn’t eat Takis at all as it can be unhealthy for them. Eating one or two won’t kill them but if it becomes a habit, it can be harmful. Let’s delve deeper into this.
- What Are Takis?
- Spicy Food Is Toxic for Dogs
- Toxic Ingredients
- No Nutritional Value
- Too Many Calories
- Sodium Poisoning
- Dogs Can’t Taste like Humans
- Human Food vs Dog Food
- Digestive Health
- What Can Happen to Your Dog?
- Alternatives for Takis
- What You Should Do If Your Dog Ate Takis
- Preventive Steps
- Train Your Dog
- What Should Your Dog Eat
- Last Thoughts
What Are Takis?
Takis are chips made from tortillas and they are popularly known for their spiciness. They lack nutrients and can be high in calories if more than one serving is consumed.
They are high in sodium and are highly processed. Foods such as these are responsible for increased risk of heart diseases in humans and can even lead to diabetes.
Humans can eat them in moderation if they are consuming a healthy and well-balanced diet otherwise.
Looking at their ingredients list, it is clear that they are not nutritious at all. They can be even more harmful to dogs if consumed in large amounts.
Spicy Food Is Toxic for Dogs
You may love spicy food but you should never share it with your furry friends no matter how much they beg you.
Spicy food like Takis is toxic for your dog and can upset your dog’s stomach. A dog’s digestive system is much less efficient than a human’s.
Moreover, a dog doesn’t enjoy the smell of spicy food and can’t even taste it properly. If your dog has accidentally eaten too much spicy food, you may need to rush to a vet.
These chips also contain traces of onion and garlic. Both these ingredients are toxic for dogs.
These ingredients can destroy your dog’s red blood cells, and it can even lead to the development of anemia.
No Nutritional Value
The nutritional requirements of pets are very different from our requirements.
Takis is not nutritionally rich. It has high levels of salt and chili. Feeding your dogs Takis will not fulfill your dog’s dietary needs.
Too Many Calories
Takis is high in calories as they contain an excessive amount of carbohydrates.
This might give your pet a sudden boost of energy but it is unhealthy for them in the long run.
Feeding your dogs Takis regularly can quickly lead to your dog’s weight gain. Obesity in dogs is harmful and can lead to many other diseases.
Also Read: Can Dogs Eat Sherbet?
Chips like Takis are high in sodium. Dogs are much less efficient than humans when it comes to digesting salt. High levels of salt can be a potential danger for their kidneys.
High sodium levels lead to increased blood pressure in humans. The effects are much more harmful to a dog.
Here are some symptoms your dog might be suffering from sodium poisoning.
- Walking in circles
- Swollen belly
- Extreme thirst
If you notice these symptoms in your pet, seek immediate assistance. Your vet will treat your dog with fluid therapy.
Dogs Can’t Taste like Humans
While dogs have a strong sense of smell, they can’t taste food as humans do. Studies have shown dogs only have 1,700 taste buds while humans have 9,000 taste buds.
If you are feeding your dog Takis so that it can enjoy the taste, it won’t be able to.
Dogs are creatures of habits and don’t mind eating the same food regularly. There’s no need to feed them spicy food like Takis to offer them a change of taste.
Human Food vs Dog Food
You will never eat your dog’s food then why should it eat yours? A dog should only be eating food tailored specifically for its dietary needs, and Takis does not belong on this list.
Your dog’s digestive system may get weak if you’re constantly feeding it harmful food. Feeding it Takis regularly may make it difficult for your dog to digest other foods too.
Also Read: Can Dogs Eat Hash Browns?
What Can Happen to Your Dog?
Depending on how strong your dog’s digestive system is, it may suffer from diarrhea, gastrointestinal pain and flatulence.
The spiciness of the chili may even hurt its mouth and throat. If your dog has eaten too many Takis, it may suffer from dehydration and vomiting.
Alternatives for Takis
If you want your dog to enjoy chips, you should consider buying alternatives for Takis. It is suggested you always opt for natural or homemade treats for your pets.
Here are some other snacks that are healthy for your dogs.
- Chips specifically made for dogs
- Fruits like apples, strawberries, bananas and blueberries
- Vegetables like broccoli, carrots and sweet potatoes
What You Should Do If Your Dog Ate Takis
If your dog ate a few Takis, it is not something you should worry about. However, ensure that it doesn’t become a habit.
Dogs can get used to things easily and if they get accustomed to eating Takis, they may ask for them often.
It is very unlikely that Takis can kill your dog but if your dog is already weak, it may be possible. You should visit a vet immediately if your dog is showing signs of discomfort.
Here are a few things you should do if your dog is looking troubled.
- Offer your dog lots of water. The spices from Takis may cause inflammation in your pet.
- Notice how your dog is behaving. If it is starting to look tired or sad, immediately call a vet.
- Take note of your dog’s poop. If something looks out of the ordinary, you should visit a vet.
- Symptoms may take a few days to show up so stay vigilant and keep an eye on your dog.
- If no signs are seen after 48-72 hours, chances are your dog is completely fine and all the harmful chemicals have been flushed out of its body.
If your dog ate Takis accidentally, you should follow these steps to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
- Keep all your snacks away from your dog’s reach. Store them in a locked cupboard that is preferably high.
- Don’t leave your food lying around.
- If you have children in your house, teach them to be careful about what they are eating around the dog.
- Be careful to not drop any of your snacks while eating them.
- If you have guests over for lunch, consider putting your dog in another room as your guests may not understand they shouldn’t feed human food to a dog.
- Keep an eye on what your dog is doing as much as you can.
Train Your Dog
If your dog is always begging for food, it may be in need of training. Teach your dog good manners so that it lets you eat in peace.
Here are some tips for your help.
- You should train your dog to understand what food it is allowed to eat and what it shouldn’t.
- Use a bowl and train your dog to eat from that bowl only.
- Keep the bowl in its specified spot and make sure to feed your dog at a fixed time for all its meals.
- When you are at the dining table, train your dog to sit at a fixed spot away from the family.
- Never let your dog take even a bite of your food.
- Cover all the trash cans in your house so your dog doesn’t eat anything dangerous.
- Ensure your dog is well fed and not starving. A starving dog is more likely to beg for food.
- If you have neighbors and friends who like feeding your dog, ask them to not do it.
What Should Your Dog Eat
A dog should be fed a well-balanced and nutritious diet. A diet rich in vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbohydrates and fats is essential for your dog.
A diet rich in fiber will keep your dog’s digestive system healthy.
How much your dog eats will depend on its breed, its size and how active it is. However, you should never overfeed your dog.
Remember that your dog’s hunger levels may change according to the weather.
Extreme hot and cold temperatures force your dogs to burn more calories to maintain their body temperature.
If you are still unsure about your dog’s dietary needs, consult a veterinarian doctor for guidance.
Also Read: Can Dogs Eat Black Beans?
It is every owner’s duty to feed their dogs a well-balanced and healthy diet. Dogs are silly and can’t tell what is healthy for them, but you can.
Dogs should never be fed Takis or any other similar chips. While feeding them Takis doesn’t threaten their lives, it is harmful to them and provides them no nutrition.