There are many ways to help people affected by Hurricane Sandy including donations made to the Red Cross, donating blood to the Red Cross or helping one of the many groups listed here by the Huffington Post with specific needs. There are also a lot of animal shelters in need due to devastation from the storm and the fact that they’ve taken in pets from people who had to evacuate. The ASPCA in New York City is currently caring for more than 400 evacuated pets. In my home state of Maryland, there are shelters without power and whose food deliveries have been canceled. I wanted to start a list here of shelters and animal organizations in need and I hope the Pawesome community will help grow the list by posting a comment of any organizations that you know also need help.
- Baltimore Humane Society – The shelter needs Science Diet dog and cat food, non-clumping kitty litter, blankets and non-down comforters. Learn more.
- The ASPCA - The organization is caring for over 400 evacuated animals and coordinating animal relief efforts throughout the New York City region. Monetary contributions are needed. Text PREVENT to 25383 to make a $10 donation or donate online.
- Animal Haven – The shelter is on day five of no power. They need linens, towels, flashlights, lanterns, papertowels, bleach and rubber gloves. Details on making donations the shelter at 251 Centre Street can be found on their facebook page.
- Cape Atlanic Cats – The shelter located at 959 Asbury Ave Ocean City, NJ needs dry newspaper, can cat and kitten food.
- Humane Society of Atlantic County – The shelter needs bleach, paper towels, trash bags, detergent and gift cards to Lowe’s and Home Depot.
- Liberty Humane Society - The shelter in Jersey City needs cat food and litter.
- Humane Society of Ocean City – The shelter needs laundry soap, bleach, canned cat foot, 33 gallon trash bags, and towels.
- Cleveland Animal Control – The shelter has no power and is in need of foster homes ASAP. Email ClevelandACVolunteer@gmail.com.
- Animal Friends of North Central West Virginia – The organization in Morgantown, WV, needs volunteers. Email SudieL@aol.com.
- Animal Friends of Barbour County- The shelter in Bellington, WV, needs volunteers to assist with clean-up on Saturday, November 4th. Learn more on their facebook page.
- Humane Society of the United States - Text ANIMALS to 20222 to donate $10 to the Humane Society’s Disaster Relief Fund.