In case you didn’t know you shouldn’t let your pet eat just anything that they find and feel like chowing on. The world is not their buffet and for very good reasons. Aside from the standard trash and people food that isn’t good for them, your pet can get in to foods, plants, flowers, vegetables that aren’t meant to be eaten by them or by anyone that can make them really sick or even kill them.
Mushrooms would be at the top of this list, specifically the one known as a “Death Cap Mushroom,” (pictured below). In case it wasn’t clear this particular mushroom is called “Death Cap” because it can easily kill your pet and up until now there has been no immediate treatment/cure that could prevent that. Curious about an article that Sonia sent to me Raise A Paw is incredibly interested to know, is there finally an antidote for poison mushrooms?
Hard to distinguish from other mushrooms a Northern California pooch named Kasey got itself in to a bad situation after eating the mushrooms. The owner rushed Kasey to the doctor where it was confirmed to in fact be the lethal, death cap mushrooms that the pup ingested.
The vets then tracked down a doctor holding a clinical trial on humans for the very same thing and they found that the drug being used wasn’t available yet but the procedure needed was.
In order to get the poison out of Kasey before it absorbed in to the miniature Australian Shepherd’s system, the bile needed to be drained from the gall bladder which in humans requires them to be attached to a drainage tube for a couple of weeks but for Kasey, it just required a needle and syringe. According to Dr. Todd Mitchell, Kasey is the first of any species to have the procedure done with no drainage tube put in place afterward. As Kasey is the first patient to undergo the treatment, it’s important not to put the cart before the horse, but it does open the door for the possibility of future procedures that allow for toxins to be taken directly from the system.
Quick action on the part of both Kasey’s owner and also vets to get tested once they realized Kasey was vomiting and lethargic plays a part in what saved Kasey’s life. While the drug, known generically as Cilibinin has been successful in trials with humans it is still awaiting an FDA approval.
According to Kasey’s owner the pup is doing well and they are thankful for the quick action of the vets who helped to save Kasey.
While an antidote would be a tremendous breakthrough for saving the lives of animals who have ingested something something poisonous it is still a few years away. In the meantime, it’s important to remember this story when you’re out in the woods with your animal. It’s important to know your surroundings and if you’re taking your pet on a trip with you to an area that you’re unfamiliar with, make sure you ask around or do a little bit of internet research on what types of dangers are found in the area.
Lastly and what should be most obvious, if your pet begins to seem lethargic or worse, begins to vomit you need to get them to a vet immediately for testing.